Starting a painting business is one of the easiest businesses to start, and yet Dun and Bradstreet says construction companies are among the highest rated to fail. How do you become one of the successes?
Here’s how to succeed:
1) Become interested in learning about the painting business and stay interested. Do yourself a big favor and be selective of the sources that you choose to learn from. Only pick those people who have experience. There are tons of people who want to tell you how to do it, but have no direct knowledge of running a business.
2) Set up systems right away, have a system for marketing, sales, hiring, and management You will need these systems for when you grow to the point where you start to hire more people to do the jobs that you do now.
3) Stay away from anyone that wants to drown you in negative thoughts, whether that person is another painting contractor, the clerk in the paint store or Aunt Martha. Life is tough enough without listening to the doomsayersgo to this site.
4) Always give the customer more than they paid for. I am not saying to work for free. If you have the chance to do something extra within reason for your client then do it. Do the best job.
5) The actual painting part of this business is a rather small part, and anyone can learn to paint. The place where painters fail is not making enough money for the jobs they do. So learn how much money you need to break even and then add on profit.
There are only 5 tips and they are short, but these 5 things, if you keep them foremost in your mind will help you to succeed. Remember that constructions services have one of the highest failure rates. There are real reasons for these failures, and they are all preventable.
Leave a Reply